IDA Competition #1 - May/June 2018

MrWackyGuy

Engineered Sidewinder
Staff member
Administrator
Admiral of the Fleet
Thread starter #1
Hello and welcome to the first open Independent Defence Agency competition!

To enter, commanders/players must submit unique and original content which they have created, such as any of the following:
  • In-game screenshots
  • Video clips
  • Montages (no longer than 2 minutes)
  • Fan art
  • A relevant short story may be considered if accompanied with visual content
  • Other submissions may be considered
Competition closes for entries on June 30 at UTC 00:01.

Once the competition closes and the entries have been judged, the content from the winners and runners up will be compiled into a music video or gallery.

Rules:

Submissions must be featured around Elite: Dangerous. Modded content and content which has been altered or edited so it doesn't appear to be the standard game may not be counted if it is submitted as in-game footage. All art pieces will be considered. Submissions must not have been posted online before, they should be original and unique to this competition (within reason).

The original files should be provided where possible as this makes it more convenient, however providing a link to a picture or video won't discredit the contender's submission.

Winners will be contacted via the E-mail that they provided, as well as possibly their Steam username (for prize gifting), if requested in the submission form then Discord and if they choose to accept the physical prizes then their names and addresses. These will not be shared with anyone. Contenders must also supply their in-game CMDR names which will be shared online if they receive a prize.

If you win, your content will be displayed on the IDA website and possibly YouTube along with your CMDR name - all of your work will be clearly credited to yourself.

Prizes:

First Prize:
  • Full copy of Elite: Dangerous with Horizons Season Pass (for a friend or yourself)
  • OR Full copy of Planet Coaster
  • OR LostWinds 1 and 2 (LostWinds and LostWinds 2: Winter of the Melodias)
  • Exclusive Ship Skins, choice of ONE: Adventure, Assassin, Entrepreneur, Expedition, Explosive, Gravity, PAX, Wings
  • Elite: Dangerous T-shirt, an IDA T-shirt, an IDA mug, IDA stickers.
  • Chance to win a Steam game from your wish list (Honorable prize)

Second Prize:
  • Full copy of Elite: Dangerous with Horizons Season Pass (for a friend or yourself)
  • OR LostWinds 1 and 2 (LostWinds and LostWinds 2: Winter of the Melodias)
  • Exclusive Ship Skins, choice of ONE: Adventure, Assassin, Entrepreneur, Expedition, Explosive, Gravity, PAX, Wings
  • IDA Stickers
  • Games above OR chance for a full copy of Planet Coaster if not chosen by winner above
Third Prize:
  • LostWinds 2: Winter of the Melodias, and IDA Stickers
  • Games above OR Chance for a full copy of Planet Coaster if not chosen by winner above

ANY PRIZES NOT ACCEPTED, OR PRIZES WHERE AN OPTION IS AVAILABLE SUCH AS WITH 2ND PRIZE, WILL BE OFFERED TO THE NEXT CONTENDER.

Runners Up (will continue until no prizes left, minimum of 6 runners up):
  • Any prizes not accepted above
  • There are 2 x copies of Elite: Dangerous
  • 1 x copy of Planet coaster
  • 2 x Lost Winds 1 and 2
  • Chance to win a Steam game from your wish list

Competition intro video #1

Trailer 2 coming soon.

Enter here: https://goo.gl/forms/m6RRZfy0r1K7JQJA2

Last edited:

DSIGN

New Commander
Hey ! I'm completely new on this forum, I'm here mainly for the competition you announced recently.
I've got one question, when exactly is the end date of this competition ? I tend to think way too big for the time there is :p

MrWackyGuy

Engineered Sidewinder
Staff member
Administrator
Admiral of the Fleet
Thread starter #6
Hey ! I'm completely new on this forum, I'm here mainly for the competition you announced recently.
I've got one question, when exactly is the end date of this competition ? I tend to think way too big for the time there is :p
Hey! Thanks for joining up!

Everyone is also completely new, the forum was only launched a few days ago, to tie in with the competition. :)

Currently there is no specific end date, as we're not sure how long it will take for everyone to submit their content - this is the first competition we've ever done, so this competition will set the way we do future competitions.

However, the competition is set to close some time in may May or June, depending how many submissions we get. June at the latest: if we don't get a huge number of submissions then we'll leave it open for longer. If we do get a huge number of submissions (which I doubt), the competition will close sooner, BUT we'll give plenty of notice (at least a week) before closing the competition to new submissions.

I hope that answered your question. :D

Let me know if you need anything else, and feel free to join our Discord (click "Home" in the top left and the "Discord" in the top right, or just use this link: https://discordapp.com/invite/gJawAnJ)

DSIGN

New Commander

However, the competition is set to close some time in may May or June, depending how many submissions we get. June at the latest: if we don't get a huge number of submissions then we'll leave it open for longer. If we do get a huge number of submissions (which I doubt), the competition will close sooner, BUT we'll give plenty of notice (at least a week) before closing the competition to new submissions.

Thanks a lot ! Everything's good as long as you notice us a bit before closing it :D

MrWackyGuy

Engineered Sidewinder
Staff member
Administrator
Admiral of the Fleet
Thread starter #8
Updated info: Competition closes for entries on June 30 at UTC 00:01.

MrWackyGuy

Engineered Sidewinder
Staff member
Administrator
Admiral of the Fleet
Thread starter #10
Is there any guidance on maximum word count for short stories? Or just "shorter than a novella" length?

Thanks!
FT
No particular guidance, it entirely depends on the context and the type of content. For example, if it were an article piece, I would suggest around 300-500 words. However, if it's an actual story, it could probably get away with being significantly longer than that.

It's up to what you feel is appropriate, don't try to force your long story into something much smaller and don't try to meaninglessly ramble on for the sake of the word count. Find wherever you come to a natural stop.

I'll leave the specifics up to your judgement, good luck!

MrWackyGuy

Engineered Sidewinder
Staff member
Administrator
Admiral of the Fleet
Thread starter #11
Reminder that the competition closes for entries on 30/06/2018, this Saturday.